Friday 12 December 2014

rambling thoughts - weird music


When I was 15 / 16 I had quite a collection of albums that were, for want of a better word, really weird.
How about Fripp and Eno's (No Pussyfooting)? Two long pieces of guitar drones and synth noises. I loved it.
 
I recently dug out another Eno related album - After The Heat, the second album he recorded with the German duo Cluster, and the one with three of Eno’s best (and oddest) songs.
As good as the instrumentals are, and they are all very lovely indeed (tracks like “The Shade” or the very pretty “Old Land” are truly excellent), it’s the three songs that dominate this record.
“The Belldog” is as lush and as rounded as an Eno song ever was. The delightfully burbling synths really compliment Eno’s excellent vocals and the ever so pretty descending piano lines are wonderful.
On the other hand, “Broken Head” is weird and dark and foreboding, and is equally as good as “The Belldog” but just in an entirely different way. In a way it almost prefigures the dark and squelchy sound of records like Nerve Net.
Then we have the sheer oddness of “Tzima N’Arki” – adding all those backwards lines from “Kings Lead Hat” to an extremely jerky rhythm track (with the King of German weirdoes Holger Czukay on bass) and the end result is one of the strangest tracks to close an album ever.
But it’s all rather marvelous - totally unlike anything else. I first heard this record in my mid teens and although it partly baffled me, it intrigued and fascinated me too. It would be nice to think that other 16 year olds might discover this album, but these days I wonder if many would listen to something so leftfield…

No comments:

Post a Comment